Updated: Feb 3, 2021
Before getting in to directions I want to make note of a few things.
You do not really need directions. There aren't many ways to do this ritual wrong. If you intuitively have a sense of how you would like to clear your space, follow it. However, for those of you who are just starting out and enjoy a guide to follow (like me), here it is.
My title: "Smudging" is one of many terms that have been culturally appropriated. It is part of my heritage so I will be using it. Just always remember to be mindful.
Many culturally used herbs (White Sage and Palo Santo) have been over harvested and sold main stream so they are now endangered; I will be listing some wonderful alternatives.
Abalone Shells: When I started my journey White Sage and Abalone Shell was just the go to pair for cleansing your stones, space and self. Abalone is also endangered and being sold for a lot more money because people still feel they need it. Lions Paw shell is a great alternative or any fire safe dish (that's free).
How to clear your space and yourself
· As you break up your herbs to put in the shell (or any fire safe dish) you want to always start by thanking the plants for its medicine and their help for anything you are tackling together.
· Light your herb mixture and don’t extinguish the flame until you see most of it has caught fire.
· The smoke should start to build at this point and you can begin by clearing yourself from head to toe or vice versa.
· Next will be your home. **As you clear your space (in your head or out loud) ask for what you need. You don’t need a mantra or a written speech. Ask for the things you would like to see leave and all the things you want to bring in to your home and yourself**.
· You will begin at the front entrance of your home and be working clock wise. Use your hand or any fan/feather to guide where you want your smoke to go.
· Start by clearing around the frame of your doorway, around windows, closet doors, inside closets and so on for each room. *Once smoke starts to build you can start opening the windows to let the energy leave (don’t forget to keep asking for what you need while doing all this)*
· Once you finish, thank anyone or anything you channeled for help.
· Finish by throwing the ashes back out in to the earth. (Make sure all embers are extinguished!!)
White Sage Alternatives